It is not a matter of age, but instead, it’s about whether they can sit up or support themselves.
The average child stops using a high chair around four years old. You can start removing the high chair around 3 to 4 years old if their development shows they are ready for it. If you see that your little have difficulties holding balance while seating, you can consider using a high chair for another year.
When your child can sit at the table without assistance, it is time to introduce them to low chairs or booster seats that they can use independently. You might also want to try a chair with arms (to hold them in place) or a cushioned seat.
How to upgrade from a high chair to a chair?
The platform to sit in a high chair is around 20 inches from the ground. When your child can sit on a regular chair, use a stool or small bench under their feet so they can push themselves up and feel secure while sitting.
Find out what can you use to make progression easy, and what our recommended picks are:
A booster seat
A booster seat will help your child to sit comfortably in a regular chair. If you want to use a booster seat, you need to buy one that will fit the size of your dining chairs.
Prices of booster seats vary from around 20 to a little over 40 dollars, and there are multiple models available on the market. However, if you want to get the best booster seat, focus on one of those:
- OXO Tot Perch Booster Seat with Straps
- Zicac Kids’ Dining Chair Heightening Cushion
- Toddler Booster Seat for Dining Table
- Prince Lionheart Soft Booster Seat, Washable Booster Seat with Double Adjustable Straps for Kids
- KABOOST Booster Seat for Dining Table
A chair with arms
This type of chair will give the child a feeling of security while giving them enough space to move their legs about to get in and out of the seat. If your child still doesn’t have good control over their muscles, sit down next to them, so they feel secure when getting up or down.
Examples of a chair with arms that will also work for kids:
- Solid Wood Study Chair/Dining Chair
- Armen Living Phoebe Dining Chair
- Armen Living Butterfly Dining Chair
- HomyCasa Dining Chair (Set of 2)
- Luxury Mid-Century Modern Ergonomic Chair
- Armen Living Summer Dining Chair
- Boss Captain’s Chair
A chair with a higher back
Your kids will feel more secure in this type of chair because it provides better support and keeps them from sliding out.
- Versanora Waverly Armchairs
- HomePop Parsons Classic Upholstered Accent Dining Chair
- HomePop Parsons Classic Dining Chair with Nailhead Trim (Set of 2)
A padded seat
A chair with a padded seat is comfortable and allows the child to sit comfortably for more extended periods without discomfort or fatigue setting in (Make sure to wipe off spills right away).
Apart from a lot of items mentioned above, another few best chairs for little kids are:
- Roundhill Furniture Habit Grey Solid Wood Tufted Parsons Dining Chair (Set of 2)
- OSP Home Furnishings Andrew Dining Chair with Thick Padded, Button Tufted Back and Solid Wood
- Modway Baronet Modern Tufted Upholstered Fabric Parsons Kitchen and Dining Room Chair
- Ball & Cast Kitchen Dining Chair (Set of 2)
This is useful if your child has difficulty sitting in a low chair, but you should always be close by to help them get in and out of the seat because it can be unstable.
Best stools for kids:
- Biukpci Step Stool for Adult Kids Toddler Wooden Step Stool
- Kids Step Stool
- Sturdy Step Stool for Kids with Adjustable Removable Handles, Non-Slip Bottom, Safe Textured Step
- 2 Pack Cute Yellow Kids Stools
- MASTLU Bamboo Step Stool
- Wood Step Stool for Kids, 2-Step Foot Stool with Non-Slip Step Treads and 2 Cutout Handles for Kitchen, Bathroom, Bedroom, Potty Training
- RUYU 9 Inch Kids Solid Hard Wood Fruit Chair (Watermelon)
It’s very similar to the stool are less likely to tip over but have no back to give them support. In addition, a lot of those can work also as toy storage!
- AmasSmile Small Storage Ottoman
- Faux Leather Footrest Seat Coffee Table Toy Chest Kids
- OneDesign Fabric Ottoman Bench – Unicorn Comfortable Seat with Lid for Living Room
- Disney Star Wars Mandalorian The Child Kids’ Storage Ottoman Bench Chest
- Sorbus Storage Ottoman Bench
- Geartist GOO1 Leather Folding Organizer Storage Ottoman Bench Footrest Stool
- MINISO Marvel Folding Organizer Storage Ottoman Bench Footrest Stool Coffee Table Cube
- IBUYKE Storage Ottoman Round, Folding Footrest Seat, Space-Saving Storage Toy Box
- Alasdo Storage Small Ottoman Foldable Rectangle Coffee Table Multipurpose Foot Rest Short Children Sofa Stool
- Inoutdoorkit Small Foldable Leather Storage Ottoman Bench
- Kmax Small Padded Bench, Square Upholstered Rustic Ottoman Bench
As we can see, the high chair is useful for a very short time. When you want to transition your child to a low chair or a seat on their own, consider giving them one of those items mentioned above so they will feel more secure and comfortable during meal times!